Sunday, April 20, 2008

Why we need DORAMAS

I have always been sarcastic towards any kind of dramas. They were full of bullshit and stupidity so blatant I don't even know if I should laugh or cry. They make me sneer. Cover my eyes with blanket or any other objects I could find. Horror is not a ghastly image approaching from the dark; it was those romantic scenes in the dramas.

Then I start to question my "dignity". Is it because of those irritating plots that I hate dramas, or is it out of envy and realization that those plots would never happen in reality? Anyway, to see how it is actually, I decided to watch one. Just something not Hollywood-ish (like eastenders or the OC or the likes), definitely not Bollywood-ish or Indonesian (what with those sinetrons; are you kidding me?!). So I went for a recommended Japanese dorama that won several awards and made around a decade ago: Long Vacation.

Cosists of 10 or so episodes, this drama centered around Senna, an inspired musician, who fell in love with one of his piano students but rejected by her. As if this is not enough, he needed to share his house with his runaway roomate-bride who didn't have a place to stay. As the time goes by, they fell in love with each other sweetly that Senna asked her to go with him to NY Phillharmonic. You might think the story is cheesy from the way I described them, and I agree. However, I didn't cover my eyes this time. Nor did I sneer. The story was so sweetly uncovered and its plot was okay (still not gonna happen in reality but the possibility is not zero either).

After I'm done, I come to one conclusion: Long Vacation wasn't that bad. It gives me the feeling of wanting to fall to someone so bad I could lost all the logic and walk blindly with only my heart as a pointer (I was talking crap, sorry). But anyway, it ensure me more that my place is there, far far away in Asia and not here. Western didn't know the sweetness of shyness and all blushing thingy when you're confronted with someone you really like. I think I know, and I treasure that feeling.

No comments: